We know firsthand how hard it is to find lessons and ideas out there that are gospel-centered, solid in Biblical truths, plus engaging for the kids. We aim to provide more resources as time goes by which we hope will be helpful to you and your ministry.
Prepare two un-boiled eggs by dying them different colors. You can do this simply with hot water and food coloring. You need just enough color so that they are different.
- Have you ever met someone who was different from you?
- Sure, we all do. Every single day. Sometimes we meet people and they are so different that we just decide we don’t like them. Sometimes we might even say or think really mean things about them. We might not even know them, but because they look different or talk different or act different or smell different, we decide that we don’t like who they are.
- Show the two different colored eggs.
- These eggs are obviously different. They are different colors. They aren’t the same. We all tend to prefer people who are the same as us. Green eggs and blue eggs (or whatever color you are using) are different and may not like that the other one is different. But we all forget something very important.
- Read Genesis 1:26-28.
- God made every single person in His image.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl.
- Can you tell now which one was green and which was blue? No, because at the very core, every single person, whether purple or green, short or tall, senior adults or babies, athletic or not, from this country or not, rich or poor… every single person is made in the image of God.
- When you look at another person, even if you don’t prefer what they are wearing or how they are acting, you are called to treat them like they were made in God’s image. Because they were.
- Read 1 Peter 2:17 and Romans 12:10.
- What does it mean to honor someone?
- We honor someone by treating them like they are special. Every person is special and every person has worth. We treat every person like they are made in the image of God.
- Every single person has something else in common too. Look at these bowls. This is a mess. God has created us in His image but every single one of us sin. We are all a mess. Just like I can’t put these eggs back together, we can’t fix ourselves. Only by repenting of our sin and trusting in Jesus can be made new.
- So while on the outside we may be green or blue, those differences don’t really matter. What matters is that we were all created by God and we all need Jesus.